Sunday, January 31, 2016

This Journal Belongs to Ratchet (MMGM)

***NOTE*** this blog has moved to wordpress you can view it right here

Title: This Journal Belongs to Ratchet
Author: Nancy J. Cavanaugh
Publisher: Sourcebooks, Inc
Publication date: 2013
Pages: 250 (ebook)




A debut middle grade novel about a girl named Ratchet and her quest to make a friend, save a park, and find her own definition of normal. Ratchet tells her story through the assignments in her homeschool journal.


If only getting a new life were as easy as getting a new notebook.
But it's not.

It's the first day of school for all the kids in the neighborhood. But not for me. I'm homeschooled. That means nothing new. No new book bag, no new clothes, and no friends – old or new. The best I've got is this notebook. I'm supposed to use it for my writing assignments, but my dad never checks. Here's what I'm really going to use it for:

Ratchet's Top Secret Plan
Project Goal: turn my old, recycled, freakish, friendless, motherless life into something shiny and new.

This year, I'm going make something change. ~ Goodreads



I honestly didn't think that I would like this book, kinda like how I thought that I wouldn't like Always, Abigail which is also by the same author. Do I see a pattern here? The book was actually very sweet and cool. The main characters I liked a lot and I really like Ratchet's dad. The story grew and definitely felt deeper than Always, Abigail. It had a lot of things going on at once so it was kind of like a very, very low key adventure book! And the characters were mostly realistic.


My complaints: One of the reasons I didn't think that I would like this book was because it seemed like it would be a ripoff to the Dear Dumb Diary and Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Though it was definitely NOT. Also the beginning offended me a little because Ratchet seemed like the stereotypical homeschool kid, no friends or nice clothes. Especially since I am a homeschool kid.

Age recommendation: 9 


Fabulous quotes!


"the only thing 
That really needed to change
Was
The way
I thought
About
Me..."

...

"There was a young girl named Ratchet.
She had skill and no one could match it.
She wanted to be
More stylish and carefree,
But she couldn't give up her Ratchet."

...

"A Friend
Someone
You're happy to see, 
Who's happy to see you.
Someone
You like for who they are
Not just for what they can do for you."





And now it's time for...What Does the Cat Think? *crowd cheers*



Wait a second...which ratchet should 
I return this book to? I'm very distressed.






I give this book 4 stars out of 5! 

If you would like to go back to the fabulous Mrs. Messenger's blog, click here.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Thanks for reviewing!
    - Vi Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we will be seeing many more books with home schooled MC's. Thanks for featuring this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be interesting to see what they would be about! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. What a unique story about a girl who is home schooled. It really sounds like a great read. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any books with a MC that is home schooled. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it's not a very common topic I guess. Thanks for commenting/reading!

      Delete
  4. You give a very compelling argument for picking this one up. Thanks for such a thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. There are a couple of books with homeschooling. I didn't buy this one because "ratchet" is a very unflattering slang term in my area, and the ARC elicited a lot of giggles. Just couldn't. THink this author has a new book out on Edelweiss right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. That, sucks. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete