Sunday, January 24, 2016

Always, Abigail (MMGM)


***NOTE*** this blog has moved to wordpress you can view it right here

Title: Always, Abigail
Author: Nancy J. Cavanaugh
Publisher: Sourcebooks, Inc.
Publication date: 2014
Pages: 320 (I think, I got this on my kindle so it only showed what percentage I was at)



Discover Abigail's triumphant story of friendship told through heart-touching letters and lists

Abigail and her two best friends are poised for a life of pom-poms and popularity. But not only does Abigail end up in a different homeroom, she doesn't make the squad. Then everyone's least favorite teacher pairs Abigail up with the school's biggest outcast, Gabby Marco, for a year-long "Friendly Letter Assignment." Abigail can hardly believe her bad luck. As her so-called best friends and entire future of popularity seems to be slipping away, Abigail has to choose between the little bit of fame she has left or letting it go to be a true friend.
  ~ Goodreads



So the only reason I was going to read this was because of the cover. Then I read the plot description and was like Seriously? I could tell you the whole story just from that! And I almost didn't read it. But I'm glad I did, even though the story wasn't fresh or surprising, I actually got into the book and surprisingly liked the main character. Though she was a jerk, her character did grow so it was bearable, kind of.  And even though the story was told from lists and letters, it was surprisingly smooth and well written.

My complaints: The main character could have been a lot nicer.

Age recommendation: 10
Fabulous Quotes!   


"Three Reasons Why Being in the Pom Pom Yearbook Is One of the Best Parts of Being a Pom Pom Girl"

...


"Lists are so much cooler than, "Dear Diary, Blah, blah, blah..."

...


"The only problem was that there was nothing fun about the crazy mirror I was looking into right now. When I saw what I really looked like, there was nothing to laugh about."




And now...it's the highlight of people day all across the globe, it's...What Does the Cat Think?


                 Oh no! Was it my turn to review?




I give this book 4 stars out of 5! 

If you would like to go back to the fabulous Mrs. Messenger's blog, click here.

7 comments:

  1. This one had its moments. Realistic fiction with middle school students making less than optimal choices is popular at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one had its moments. Realistic fiction with middle school students making less than optimal choices is popular at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this one on my to be read list for some time, but in the mean time have been recommending it to (mostly girls) searching for a good contemporary story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one some time ago and really liked it. Thanks for the reminder of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this book, so I was intrigued by your comments. It does sound like a great contemporary story for tweens.

    ReplyDelete