Saturday, December 12, 2015

Magnus Chase: The Sword Of Summer (MMGM)

***NOTE*** this blog has moved to wordpress you can view it right here

Title: Magnus Chase: The Sword Of Summer
Author: Rick Riordan
Pages: 497 (the story actually ends on page 491 but page count ends on 497)
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication date: 2015




Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . . ~ Goodreads

 Eep! Rick Riordan is making a new series! That was my first thought when I saw the cover for Magnus Chase. After I got over the giddiness, I was a bit doubtful that it would be a good read. After all it's his 4th series and fourteenth book about demigods. But when in the plot description it said that he, heaven forbid, died...well, that definitely spiked my interest. The character, Magnus, was definitely snarky. And like all the other demigods, he's had a tough life and never new one parent. But Riordan takes a new twist, and makes the character even more snarky, homeless, and kills him. Seriously. The book was full of action, gods, and quests. It was definitely a fresh new adventure. One of my favorite parts was at the end with a character we know and love so well. No spoilers but Magnus Chase, Xxxxxx Chase (By the way that was a random amount of Xs.) When I saw the cover I practically died. And then I saw the other cover and loved it just as much and I couldn't decide which one was my favorite. So I decided to put both of them in the review. There is one cuss word (as far as I know) that was said over once, just so ya know.

My complaints were that while I know I said that it was a fresh new story, I felt like some of the plot line was recycled from Percy Jackson. I feel that this is should be Rick's last demigod series before it's a complete ripoff from his other books. And on that happy note...here is the...

Age Recommendation: 10 years

Fabulous Quotes!

"Could you do a glamor and turn into something smaller?" I asked it " preferably a chain since it's no longer the 1990's?"
 The sword didn't reply (duh), but I imagined it was humming at a more  interrogative pitch, like, Such as what?

"I dunno. Something pocket-size and innocuous. A pen, maybe?"

The sword pulsed, almost like it was laughing. I imagined it saying, A pen sword. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.” 

                                ... 


“Myths are simply stories about truths we've forgotten.”

              ...    


“My name is Magnus Chase. I’m sixteen years old. This is the story of how my life went downhill after I got myself killed.”

                  ...
            
“Well, yes, I call it the Expando-Duck. It's perfect if you need a small metal duck. Or a larger metal duck.”

              ... 

"WHEN SOMEONE SAYS, It's the squirrel, You don't ask questions.


Ok, I'm done now...I was going to keep on adding. But then I looked at the list...and, yeah.

And now it's time for...What Does the Cat Think?

                 Pshh, scared of a squirrel?
Well, Iggy.. it was supposed, never mind...

I give this book...5 stars out of 5! What? Were you expecting a medal?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good but I may pass on this one for a while. I've been a huge Rick Riordan fan but I don't want to start on another series that is basically Percy Jackson in another mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of gave up halfway through his second series, but you make Magnus sound like a fun character! I like the quotes you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reviewing this! I was wondering if the book was worth it, and I think I'll add it to my list :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I saw it was at the library so I was like: why not?

      Delete